Monday, March 22, 2010

An Experimental Canvas

Last Saturday, I went for a really fun crop party to celebrate my good friend Pancy's birthday. I'd met Pancy through scrapbooking and it was a wonderful afternoon spent with 10 like-minded individuals who all shared the same love for scrapping.

We all got to create a canvas layout and it was interesting to see how different the canvases turned out using the same kit. I was in a crazy mood and decided to use a really unlikely combination of colours on my canvas - a base of yellow, followed by glimmer mists in shades of purple (!), orange (!!) and dark green (!!!). Okay, so I do scrap dark green, but the combination of yellow plus purple plus orange was a little off, to say the least. :P And because I was choosing wierd colours anyway, I went for streaks in my canvas. Very unlike me. I'm a neat mister, I may even do the occasional splotches and drips... but never streaks. And not purple and orange streaks. But hey, if you're going to experiment with colours and techniques, why not go all the way right? So here's my experimental canvas:




Mildly eccentric to say the least. :)  I struggled with the layout during the crop because 1) I hardly scrap in 8x8 (where was my white space?!); and 2) the yellow-purple-orange canvas was mocking me. BUT the Prima flowers, leaves, lace, swirls and butterfly and Basic Grey Kioshi papers which Pancy and Kelly selected for the kit came to my rescue and I was able to finish the canvas. And hey, I like that it's different. And it's definitely a happy layout. :)

Some close-ups:

Prima to the rescue...



Streaks of glimmer mists - I'd never tried that before. I'm more a mist over screen kind of gal...



The canvas from a different angle...


Moral of the story? It's fun to experiment. :) Thanks Pancy!

6 comments:

Radiantik said...

It's fabulous! I like it! Have to experiment too :))

beckyjune said...

gorgeous work, Sue!

Nancy W said...

Awesome!

ileesum said...

you're one of the few talented scrappers i know who CAN work any kit we hand you! LOVE this loads and it still has your signature style!! love your prima hairband and hope we had some close-up shots among the pile of photos :) can't wait to see your next project!

Scoobie said...

Lovely work. Love all the texture on this, the random feeling and your color choice. TFS!

Marianna said...

Absolutely beautiful! Experimenting is fun.. thanks for sharing!

-Mari