Thursday, May 20, 2010

Whimsical Hot Air Balloon

I created this Hot Air Balloon two weekends ago on a whim. I had a couple of hours free and thought I would make something different. And so I came up with this whimsical hot air balloon, adorned with my favourite embellishments of flowers, crystals, pearls and butterflies.




There was quite a bit of experimenting because my original idea didn't work out. But I'm pretty pleased with the final product and it all came together very quickly once I got going. The hot air balloon is for my daughter's room, where it'll float amongst the blue skies and fluffy clouds in her garden-themed room.


Some close-ups:


The hot air balloon is created using mostly Prima products. Lots of Prima lace, flowers, crystal and bling swirls, and of course that butterfly. I like the idea of a butterfly perched on a hot air balloon. :)


A view from below to show more pearl and crystal flourish on the underside of the hot air balloon:





Another close-up:


I created the hanging basket from scratch using Prima's Watercolor Rainbow patterned paper, lots of lace, flowers and a pearl strand. The basket is remarkably sturdy and can hold quite a lot in it. Here the basket is filled with a surprise and topped off with a large Prima bloom.


This project was a difficult one to photograph. Photographing the hanging hot air balloon near an open door for sunlight meant it was spinning around in the light breeze. So I had to wait for it to spin to the angle I wanted then quickly snap a photograph and wait for it to spin around again. All this done with single hand photography because I had to hold up the balloon with my left hand. The last time I did something like this was when I was photographing my butterfly mobile.


I had lots of fun making this. Best of all, it makes me happy looking at it. :)



List of materials used:

Patterned Paper - Prima Watercolor Rainbow Tropical Lagoon
Flowers - Prima Cameo Roses Turquoise, Cameo Roses Mandarin, Fairytale Roses Teal, Fairytale Roses Baby Pink, Caboodles, Athena Flowers Powder Puff
Butterfly - Prima Jewelbox Butterflies Pink Topaz
Crystals - Prima Say It In Pearls Mixed Crystals Blue and Cream
Lace - Prima

11 comments:

Louise said...

Beautiful creation!! I saw Jenny's version over at the Graphic 45 blog recently and loved it!! She's such an inspiration. Did you ladies use a template for the balloon part or just alter an existing ball? I would love to give this a go. Tfs x

Evgenia said...

what a great idea! i have never seen nothing like that! awesome.
what did you use as a ball?

BabyBokChoy said...

That is way way way too awesome, no way, this is just fantabulous!!!

Dolores said...

OMG this is fabulous!!!

iris said...

This is really amazing!! I love every little detail of your work!

Tanya Tahir said...

Oh this is just amazing!!! Love it and you photographed it really well too ;)

Sue said...

Thanks for your lovely comments, ladies! They're much appreciated. :)

Janinek said...

Wow, this balloon is just amazing. So fabulously creaive

beckyjune said...

Sue, you created this on a whim? This is amazing. Wow. You always amaze me.

Mette said...

OMG!!!!! That is soooo beautiful! So wonderful! I really love it!

http://mettka.blogg.se

Lynn said...

This is super gorgeous Sue!!
I will never have thought of it!