Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Altered Mini Tin - Playing with alcohol inks


I made up this mini altered tin a couple of afternoons ago. You'd be surprised at how quick and easy it is to create. I wrote up a little tutorial for it for Your Scrapbook Stash and am sharing it here with you too.

First off, you need just a few supplies for the class. A mini tin, a couple of alcohol inks and an ink applicator.



If you've never played with alcohol inks before you may be a little apprehensive. But trust me, it's really simple to use. And fun. To begin, drip a couple of drops of alcohol ink onto your applicator. I used three colours for my project - Pesto, Raisin and Copper. Make sure the different colours of ink do not overlap, or you may end up with a brown mess.



Now for the fun part. Simply pounce your applicator directly onto your tin. Pounce, don't drag the applicator. Cover up as much or as little of your tin as you like. It took just a few seconds and I had my tin all inked up. I love how the inks magically transformed my plain jane tin into a beautifully marbled, almost batik-styled tin.

The inked tin:


You can leave the tin as is, pretty as it is. Or you could alter it some more by adding your favourite embellishments. I wanted a romantic vintage-looking tin. So here's my finished altered tin, using my favourite Prima flowers, leaves, lace, pearl flourish and Hambly transparency.


And a view from the side:


Thanks for dropping by. :)

Supplies:

Flowers - Prima Mini Rose (535476), Belle Artes Aquarius (539313)
Leaves - Prima Rose leaves (540456)
Pearl flourish - Prima Say It In Pearls (529338)
Lace - Prima
Ribbon - May Arts
Transparency - Hambly Studios
Alcohol Inks - Tim Holtz alcohol inks in Pesto, Raisin and Copper


5 comments:

Scrapthat said...

Very cute job on your tin! TFS

Willea said...

It is beautiful! Thanks for the tutorial, I think I have to get me some ink :)

Staci said...

Wow, this is gorgeous!! TFS :-)

LG said...

this is just amazing Sue. you are making me want some of those alcohol inks

BabyBokChoy said...

It is soo oooooo oooo beautiful!!! Thanks for the ideas!