Friday, July 13, 2012

Pretty Altered Frame Video Tutorial

A couple of weeks ago I received the fantastic news that I was one of the finalists in the May Arts Ribbon Design Team call. I love ribbons, trims and lace and remember the first time I came across May Arts ribbons in this huge store in New York City which sold all manner of trims and lace. Needless to say I walked out of that shop with a large bag of ribbons. :)

For this finalist project, we were told to make our selection of ribbons from the May Arts catalogue and I had a great time swooning over all the ribbons there. I would have loved to pick one of every ribbon in the catalogue but decided I would exercise restraint and limit myself to pretty trims and laces in a vintage style and in cream and ivory tones.

Here are the ribbons I used in the project, together with Graphic 45's le Romantique papers.



And this is what I created. I altered a photo frame into a customized home decor in a floral romantic style. The frame is done up in pretty flowers, trims and lace and other embellishments reminiscent of a garden setting. There are layers and layers of ribbons, patterned paper and flowers and lots of texture created by the assortment of ribbons I used. I kept the colours of the embellishments muted in pale shades of cream, peach and mint, allowing the photograph to be the focus of the project.

The completed project:


Some close-ups:

The trim-textured background, the floral cluster and ribbon framing the corner.



The pearl trim peeking out from behind the garden of flowers, bird house and bridge.


Other close-ups...




Here's the video tutorial on how I created the project. It's my first video tutorial so it took some fiddling with iMovie to get it edited. Enjoy!




Supplies:
Patterned Paper - Graphic 45's le Romantique
Ribbons - May Arts Ribbons
Flowers & leaves - Prima Marketing
Resin embellishments - Prima Marketing

5 comments:

Tracey Sabella said...

Congratulations on making the cut!! What an amazing project to showcase the May Arts ribbon and lace from the stunning frame to the fussy cut photo and flowers along with the gorgeous Prima Flowers and resin piece. Hoping you make it to the team! ~ Blessings

http://gracescraps.blogspot.com/

Rea' said...

Wow ... that is amazing , you made it look so easy :) !

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

Beautiful! So glad your considerable talents have been recognized by two fine companies. I love your work!

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

By the way, Sue...what kind of glue did you use to adhere the ribbon. It looked as though you were tapping the glue onto the frame and then sticking the ribbon onto the glue. Seemed that the glue dried very quickly. Just curious....

Sue Lui said...

Thanks for your comments, ladies. They're much appreciated.

Kathy, I use Beacon's liquid glue to adhere my ribbons. They dry pretty quickly.