Sunday, November 18, 2012

2nd Annual Handmade Holidays Blog Hop

Welcome to the 2nd Annual Handmade Holidays Blog Hop!!!



Calling all crafters! We’ve gathered designers from some of our favorite manufacturers to show you ways to create something from the heart this holiday season. This 3 day Hop includes over 60 stops with inspiration brimming from every corner. Explore all of the thoughtful and frugal handmade gifts you could create for the holidays, all in one place, during our second annual Handmade Holidays Blog Hop!

To sweeten the Hop, we’re offering a gift for you! For every comment you leave on the blogs in the Hop, you’ll be entered to win a prize pack from one of the participating manufacturer sponsors. Here's what you stand to win from Graphic 45:




Here's my holiday inspiration for you and how you can make it yourself.


It's a recipe book for Afternoon Tea delights created using Graphic 45's A Ladies Diary collection. The recipe book is made from paper bags, which made me think of groceries, of baking ingredients, of cakes and cupcakes and hence a recipe book. :D


As you can see, the recipe book has pages of varying sizes plus lots of pockets for inserts, extra notes and photos.



Lots of decorated pages awaiting new recipes...





Like what you see? Here are the instructions:

 
Afternoon Tea Paper Bag Mini Album Tutorial with Susan

List of Ingredients:
10 paper bags
Graphic 45 A Ladies Diary patterned papers
Graphic 45 A Ladies Diary chipboard die cuts
Graphic 45 A Ladies Diary stickers
May Arts Ribbons 
Flowers, leaves
Twine

Instructions:

1. Stick down the base of all your paper bags.



2. Fold this base over itself. Do not stick down. You now have a larger half of the paper bag which will form a page, and a smaller half (the base) which will be used as the connector for your mini album. Trim the length of the larger half of the paper bag to your desired page size. Mine's 6x6 inches.



3. There are essentially two ways to form the inside pages of your mini album. The first method is as follows: Take two paper bags, butt them up against each other and adhere the two bases together as shown. You now have a page, a flap, followed by a page.



4. The second method connects the paper bags by creating pockets. Run adhesive along the two sides and bottom of one paper bag base. Adhere this to the page of a second paper bag, forming a pocket. You now have a page, followed by a page with pocket.

 
5. Now just use these two methods to create as many pages of your mini as you wish.

6. Moving on to the cover of the mini album. I wanted my album cover to be sturdy so I created it using two paper bags. Fold two paper bags as shown in the photo and adhere them to each other.


 
You now have a sturdy cover with a connector base. Attach the connector base to your inside page using the connector as a pocket. See instructions in Step 4. 

This is how my inside cover looks attached to the next page:


7. You can make your back cover the same way you made the front cover. Or you can do what I did. I extended the back page and overlapped this with the front cover. This design requires a fastener to close the book securely. What you need to do is to attach a couple of Graphic 45 chipboards to the front cover and the flap of the back cover and wind twine around the two chipboards. See photos of my completed book for how I did it.


8. Now decorate your mini album with Graphic 45 patterned papers, May Arts ribbons, flowers & leaves and you’re done.


The recipe book is secured by winding a length of matching twine around two Graphic 45 chipboard pieces.




I hope you enjoyed my tutorial. Be sure to leave a comment on this blog and the others listed below by Nov 27 2012 11.59PM PST for your chance at winning the fab prize.

NOVEMBER 18
Clearsnap – http://clearsnap.blogspot.com
Hampton Art - http://blog.hamptonart.com/
Graphic45 – http://g45papers.typepad.com/
Fiskateers - www.fiskateers.com/blog
Donna Salazar Designs – http://donnasalazar.typepad.com/
Tombow USA – http://blog.tombowusa.com/
Authentique Paper - http://authentiquepaper.blogspot.com/
The Twinery - http://www.thetwineryblog.com/
Eileen Hull for Sizzix - http://eileenhull.blogspot.com/
Globecraft Memories – http://globecraftmemories.blogspot.com
Dana Warren - Hampton Art - http://kraftpaperstamps.blogspot.com/
Steph Ackerman – Globecraft Memories - www.stephaniescraps.blogspot.com
Arlene Cuevas – Graphic 45 -  http://butterflykisseswithlove.blogspot.com/
Susan Lui – Graphic 45 -  http://luv2scrap-pages.blogspot.com/ YOU ARE HERE
Ashley Bores – The Twinery - http://www.heartmadelife.com/  GO HERE NEXT
Mistra Hoolahan – Donna Salazar Designs - http://mistrabutterfly.blogspot.com
Nina Yang - Hampton Art - http://waffleflower.com/
Angie Blom – Authentique Paper - http://angieblomdesigns.blogspot.com/
Denise Hahn – Clearsnap – http://inmyblueroom.blogspot.com
Stephenie Hamen – Fiskateers - www.mycraftyadventures.com
Guiseppa Gubler – Authentique Paper - http://guiseppagubler.blogspot.com/
Jessica Fick – The Twinery - http://iembellish.blogspot.com/

Each day we will be sharing a brand new list of blogs with brand new projects for you to explore, be inspired by, and create from!

Cheers to creating gifts from the heart this holiday season!

Happy Hopping!

100 comments:

Sharon said...

Oh, wow! Thank you so, so much for a fantastic tutorial on the paper bag recipe album. Again, so inspired that I'm going to work on one as soon as I finish the Japanese album I'm working on now. Thank you for sharing your talent, ideas and style with us.

Sisters Craft Cafe said...

Beautiful recipe book. I love the colors and each pages.
Thanks for the tutorial.

Luanne

Pink flourish said...

This is absolutely adorable TFS

Bea said...

what a beautiful way to store recipes - thanks for sharing

Eniko said...

What a great idea to make an Afternoon Tea recipe book! I can't believe you made this lovely creation with paper bags!

Sol said...

Lovely book! Thanks for the tutorial. :)

butterfly said...

Utterly gorgeous mini-album, and such a great tutorial too, thank you!
Alison x

Pam Zirbel 'One Woman Creations' said...

This mini album is awesome!!! I will have to follow your blog to learn more! Thank you!

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

Sue, I adore your mini albums. This paper bag album is gorgeous. Thank you for the wonderful step by step tutorial. I will certainly be making some of these. Your design is genius!

Tracey said...

This is absolutely gorgeous!!

Scrap2day said...

I love this and better yet..I could do this! Thank you so so much for the tutorial!

Merrilee said...

Absolutely stunning!!

Barbara F said...

Just beautiful, and a wonderful idea. I love recipe books!!

PamSpradlin said...

Your recipe book is gorgeous. And the way you have it embellished and decorated I had to look to make sure it was paper bags. I appreciate the directions and this is now on my list to make. I hope mine comes near as nice as yours.Thanks for the inspiration.

Cassan said...

I love the afternoon tea mini book! Very delicate details, and I'm always looking for mini book ideas, because I think they make great gifts! Thank you!

My Studio Voice said...

Useful and beautiful--thanks so much for the instructions. I am going to have to get brave and try the paper bag book.

JLJ Designs said...

Beautiful recipe book. I love how you used the paper bags.

Jen

amfuller said...

Stunning!!

Camille Short said...

Love the album and all your work!

Kathy W said...

Great album. Thanks for sharing.

Holly said...

I LOVE to cook, and share recipes! This book is absolutely gorgeous! It would be a lovely way to pass down to my daughter all of those family recipes I have stashed away!

Wendy said...

This is gorgeous! I love the step by step instructions. And your cover is amazing!

Gisy Angel said...

WOW! Love the colors and the flowers! Gorgeous!!!

Mare said...

Love it! Pinning it for next year!

JPScraps said...

The book is Stunning! I never would have thought it was made from paper bags.

Mandy said...

Wow! What an amazing recipe book! Such a creative way to make a book! I'm definitely going to give this a try - I love making books!

remonstrance said...

genius!!! <3

Patsy Ingram said...

This is the most elegant recipe book and would be a great gift. My list of projects just keeps growing. TFS

Jessica Strider said...

Wow that's simply amazing. I love that it's made with shopping bags! And the cover is so beautiful. :)

Whimcees said...

Hello!

So much love put into your beautiful creation! Thank you for the tutorial! Wishing you a sunshine day!

Hugs,

Barbara Diane

WandaH said...

Really nice album, thank you for sharing the tutorial.

Natali Yarkova said...

Приятно было попасть на страницы вашего блога !
Альбом мне очень понравился !!!
Но прочитать я ничего не смогла - невозможно было подключить переводчик ))
Поэтому только полюбовалась и порадовалась красоте вашего труда !!!!

Romy said...

Gosh, this turned out gorgeous! I can't believe you made something so pretty from just a simple paper bag.

Rebecca said...

Great tutorial--thanks for the great pics!

Lisa said...

This is absolutely stunning!! What a gorgeous recipe book!! And thanks so much for the tutorial and the inspiration!!

Lisa Fish
A Mermaid's Crafts

Beccalite said...

This is fantastic, think I will have to have a go at this one, although G45 papers do just make this stunning.

Great Big Huge Hugs

Becca xxx

nicemouse said...

Beautiful paper bag album. Thank you for sharing your tutorial.

Care said...

The recipe book is simply beautiful! It would make a wonderful bridal shower gift. Thank you for the tutorial. :)

Carla said...

I absolutely love this afternoon tea album. I never would have guessed it was a paper bag album!

Elaine said...

Wow this is fantastic ! Great idea
Elaine

Sharka said...

Beautiful way to keep those special recipes! Thank you for sharing your wonderful tutorial on how to make one. Happy Sunday :-)

dharmabum1966 said...

Susan this book is so wonderful! I love the colors and the embellishments.

Ana Marcela Herrera said...

Thank you for sharing your wonderful tutorial! Wow this is fantastic !

marylouh said...

Our Civic Club has a High Tea every January. This would be a beautiful gift to put in some of the baskets that we raffle off.

Beatrice Lawson said...

What a fantastic project! The page with your gorgeous pink cupcakes was so beautiful to look at. Copying the instructions...

Mariagackron said...

Beautiful!!!! Loved your tutorial. Hope I win!! Thanx for the opportunity!

Christina Edmondson said...

LOVE this SO MUCH!!! Now I want to make one for all my girls <3

Cheers!!!

Silvia SF said...

I like very much the idea!!! Lovely!

Diana said...

I have never seen such a beautiful paper bag album. G45 papers are just incredible! Thanks for the tutorial. This is gorgeous. Love it! I have to make one.

jess457682001 said...

Soooooo pretty! I never would have thought it was made out of a paper bag. Thanks for the tutorial and I will be making one of these really soon.

Sandra Strait said...

This receipe album is just too awesome!

Debc06 said...

What a great tutorial and Love the papers you used.
Debbie

Pam said...

Gorgeous mini album. Love the colors in A Ladies Diary.

Andrea said...

I love your mini, great idea for a recipe book! Thanks for sharong

Cynthia Hanna said...

This is totally gorgeous!! And paper bags? And a tutorial? I am so going to make one of these for my daughter - thank you!

Katina said...

What a beautiful mini book. I love the LD paper collection and thanks for the tutorial!

Katie Marie said...

wow! i love this idea and will definatley start collecting some paper bags, or just buy a pack. so excited to try this out! thanks for the tute :)

Jennifer Reynard said...

Wow, an amazing recipe album starting from paper bags!! Who would have thought!! Brilliant project!!

Debbie said...

thanks for this wonderful idea love the tutorial
upnurse at aol dot com

Dawn Cox said...

love it! i've only ever done 2 bags, but can't wait to try more!!!

BethW said...

This is beyond beautiful-and your tutorial is wonderful.Thank you so much!

Becky Dunham said...

Oh my goodness Susan! This is simply gorgeous! I love to make paper bag albums but have never made a recipe album before - what an amazing idea! And a Lady's Journal is one of my favorite collections and how perfect it is for tea recipes! Love this whole idea! Thanks so much for the tutorial :)

Leslie said...

Holy cow! I have never seen anything like that before and will definitely be trying that! Thank you for the biggest inspiration of my weekend!

Carol Gibson said...

Beautiful album.

lynda said...

I've heard of using paper bags to make albums but yours is the first I've actually seen. You'd never know something so plain was under those gorgeous pages!

LaChelle Shown said...

I love this recipe book. What a great idea to make it out of paper bags.

LaChelle Shown said...

Love the recipe book. What a great idea to use paper bags!

LaChelle Shown said...

Love the recipe book. What a great idea to use paper bags!

LaChelle Shown said...

Love the recipe book. What a great idea to use paper bags!

LaChelle Shown said...

I love this recipe book. What a great idea to make it out of paper bags.

LaChelle Shown said...

I love this recipe book. What a great idea to make it out of paper bags.

Katie R. said...

I love these little mini albums. Thank you for showing how to do it with the paper bags.

Nat Laney said...

So have to make the paper bag album. Love it : )

Sue D said...

What a beautiful recipe book--hare to believe it is made with paper bags.

Wendy Von-Niessen said...

What a gorgeous recipe book. and to think it is made from paper bags. Awesome :)

Marianne said...

i've made a mini album using paper bags, but think i'll change it into a recipe book! i love all the embellishments you added. Thanks for sharing!

Diana said...

Love it. I have made paperbag minis before, but this is a different take that I am going to try. TFS

MB Isaac said...

that is probably the prettiest mini I have ever seen. LOVE it.

shanjamorjor said...

oh yummy!!!

Pam said...

This is fantastic! Thanks for the tutorial.

craftylyn said...

I really do love this book so I'm going to make one myself now. I have a few people in mind who would love it filled with my fav recipes. The papers make the book,they are so pretty.
Linda

HANDMADE BEARY TEAR BEAR CRITTERS said...

What a great idea! I love the flowers on the front of the book! I am gonna come back later and try and see if I can make one myself! Thank You for the tutorial!

susannearsenault6t@gmail.com

Elena C said...

OMG I love your bag album...I am thinking that I want to do one for my sister. We are Lithuanian and one with Lithuanian recipes would be AWESOME!!!

Elena C said...

OMG I love your bag album...I am thinking that I want to do one for my sister. We are Lithuanian and one with Lithuanian recipes would be AWESOME!!!

Villa Erikson said...

This tutorial rocks!!! Thank you!!!

Nancy Walker said...

What a gorgeous recipe book! The paper bag idea is perfect for this project.

Amy Jones #8546 said...

So Beautiful. I love the idea of a recipe book. How sweet a gift this would be.

Miriam Prantner said...

Great tutorial and love how this turned out!

Laura Bouquet said...

Wow, there are no words! I can't believe you made this amazing album with paper bags. Thanks for sharing!

Megan Aaron said...

what a great project!

artjunkie2 said...

Absolutely beautiful!! I love the design and what a fabulous gift for someone filled with recipes!Thanks for the wonderful tutorial!!

Divinity said...

great tutorial. i have wanted to try making one of these albums in forever! thanks for the inspiration :)

Judith said...

Wow what a great album. Thanks for sharing.

Cindy Lou said...

Love this book! This is a must do, thanks for the inspiration :)

{Jennie} said...

This is a beautiful book!

Madame Doudou said...

This is a GREAT idea. Thanks for sharing. Hugs, Susie.

Beachsidelynn said...

Hi Sue, the link you sent worked to get me to the comment section.
So, great book, now if I can just get the tutorial.

Jenn Zeeb said...

What a sweet book, it would make a great gift, thank you

Nahla said...

Actress Namita photo gallery Actress Namitha is well known actress in both Tamil and Telugu Actress. Her debut movie in Telugu was with Aryan Rajesh and then later came to…

Pretty said...

very very very beautiful PRETTY