Friday, March 22, 2013

Graphic 45 Design Team 2013 Audition

Graphic 45's having its DT Call and I'm going for it. I've had a wonderful year on the design team and I have to say it's one of the best DTs to be on. The beautiful products, the wonderful people... So here are some of my favourite recent projects. I have lots of favourites from the year before, but have decided to just focus on my recent ones on this post. A few of these projects below are brand new which I've created just for the call.

Project 1: From The Pages of The Secret Garden

As the inspiration for Graphic 45's Secret Garden collection is the book of the same title, I thought I would create a piece depicting, literally, pages from The Secret Garden. I have images rising up from the pages of the book, with lots of butterflies taking flight, seemingly floating in the air.







Project 2: Renaissance Faire Venetian Mask

I was inspired by my holiday last year to Venice to create this Venetian-style mask using an older Graphic 45 collection, Renaissance Faire. The patterned paper was curled in the style of the venetian masks, and Graphic 45 Staples of metal flowers and ornate brads, as well as the new paper flowers from French Country serve to accent the mask.







Project 3: French Country Small Matchbook Box and Mini Album

I converted the small Graphic 45 matchbook box into a mini box album. I cut apart the outer box, turning it into a hard cover for the mini album. The album is secured either by tying the ends of the Graphic 45 Staples Trim, or by winding the Trim around the Staples Metal Ornate Key Hole and Metal Button. Opening up the front cover, you'll find two mini albums attached to the spine via ribbon binding. This allows for the mini albums to be taken out of the box to be used separately, or for adding new mini albums when necessary. And if you like, the box has enough space to hold a couple of gift cards as well.









Project 4: Steampunk Tag

I had a whale of a time creating this steampunk-style tag for CHA. I created lots of texture on the tag using fabric, patterned paper, paints, mists and chipboards. And on this mixed media foundation I built my Graphic 45 steampunk tag of images from Graphic 45's Steampunk Debutante images and lots of Graphic 45 Staples such as the keys, metal flowers, metal brads and ornate metal key holes. The final tag is a heavyweight.






Project 5: Little Darlings Mini Album & Tutorial

This was a mini album tutorial I created for Graphic 45 using the Little Darlings collection.





Project 6: Bangkok Mini Album

This is an altered art box and mini album of my holiday to Bangkok, using A Ladies Diary. I thought a dress form created using A Ladies Diary patterned papers would be perfect for a shopping holiday. The mini album inside is an accordion-style one, with pop-up features as well as hidden journalling.











Project 7: Le Cirque Layout

This is a fun whimsical layout I created of my little dog, using Le Cirque papers. The layout is heavily dimensional, with a play on the clowns doing handstands on flowers, leaping over ribbons, and walking across a twine tightrope.








Project 8: Mixed Media Canvas

I selected this project to submit because it's a mixed media canvas, something quite different from my usual shabby-chic style. Layers of paint, gel medium, mists and textures in the form of fabrics, patterned paper, chipboards and metal went into the creation of this mixed media canvas.





Project 9: Bird Song Layout 

I chose this photo of my daughter in a cheongsam top to scrap because the Bird Song papers go so well with it. I silhouette cut the photo so it looked like my daughter was in a garden of flowers, birds and butterflies. The colours of the layout were kept subtle so that the photo would take centrestage.






Project 10: Bird Song Treasure Box

This is a treasure box I created out of an 8x8 matchbook box. I cut the lid off then re-attached it using Graphic 45 hinges, creating a lid with a perspex cover. The treasure box can be used to hold trinkets or even a mini album as you'll see below.







Project 11: Family Diorama Mini

I created this diorama mini album yesterday to accompany the Bird Song treasure box. It looks like a regular flat mini album when you first see it. But it opens up to quite a surprise.




Untying the silk bow and opening up the mini album...



The flat compact mini opens up into a 3D diorama. All the images stand vertically and pop-up and out from the page.







The challenge with this mini was to create something that would lie flat when folded and yet transform into a pop-up book when open. That meant I could not use any dimensional embellishments like flowers, metal embellishments, even chipboards. It was just patterned paper all the way.



I hope you enjoyed looking at some of my favorite recent Graphic 45 projects. And thanks for dropping by.


17 comments:

DeAdesign said...

beautiful chic things!!!

Andiepants said...

Wow! I don't know how they could NOT choose you! Your projects are out of this world!!! Beautiful stuff. Best of luck to you.

Rea' said...

Oh Sue these projects are so gorgeous, I so enjoy your work, you always have amazing details. I look forward to another year... Good Luck !

Carol Gibson said...

These are amazingly beautiful.
I am sure you will make the team,
you certainly deserve it.

Gloria Stengel said...

Your work is so beautiful and innovative that I am sure you will make the team again!

Yue Yu said...

Can you pls pls pls show us how to make the 3D album? It looks so beautiful thank you!

Sabrina said...

Amazing work! Not surprised you made it. Congrats on making the first 30!

Nichola said...

*swoon* Each piece a delight! Really fabulous stuff :)

Frances said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Your style is so beautiful, love them all! hugs, Frances

Martie Rollin said...

I have so enjoyed all of your work over this last year. Good Luck this year!

Charlene Camilleri said...

Oh my goodness, jaw dropping work!! Well done on making the top 30!!!!

~Kelly~ said...

Gorgeous projects I love what you have done and wish you the best in your design team possibilities! ~Kelly

JeLiBe@nZ said...

amazing stuff susan! My money is on you to get picked. all the best!

Patti Senter said...

Sue your projects are just so stunning! I am not surprised to see you in the final 30 for 2013 and have no doubt you will be back for another year!

JeLiBe@nZ said...

Hey Sue, saw that you made it into the team!! Just wanna be the first to congratulate you. Well done!!

Sabrina said...

Congratulations on making the DT! I look forward to seeing another year of your beautiful creations!

gela said...

Congratulations. great projects especially the last one. Do you have a tutorial for the 3-d project? Again Contratulations.